Name: Montauk Springs
Location: Dent County, Mo.
Million gallons per day: 50
Cubic feet per second: 78
Recharge Area: Presumed to be the poorly drained upland plateau to the
north and northwest of the spring, along the Pigeon Creek watershed, and southwest of the town
of Salem. Not much work done on this recharge area.
Interesting Information: Montauk Springs encompasses two sets of
those two which are used in the trout hatchery operations, and the seven (more or less) which
emerge in a gravel/sand bar area on the banks of Pigeon Creek. These springs and the creek form
the headwaters of the Current River. Prior to 1892, the seven springs area reportedly was one
large spring pool, innundated then with debris by a gullywasher from Crabtree Hollow.
Brief History:The Montauk area supposedly was been settled by people
from the Montauk Point area of Long Island. Four mills have used the spring water here, starting
in 1835. The last mill was built in 1896, restored in 1935 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, and
continued in operable condition until 1942, when the steel rollers were requisitioned for the WWII
effort. The spring area was one of the first state parks to be acquired, in 1926. Fish hatchery
operations at the Park are run by the Missouri Dept. of Conservation, and trout fishing is
Ownership and Access: A Missouri state park since 1926. Camping, fishing,
and dining lodge featured. No charge for entry to view the spring.